Hair Tutorial: Dying red hair to blonde hair

First, I want to thank everyone for the lovely birthday wishes in my last post. Every message made my day just that much better, truly.

Over the past week or so, I’ve gotten a deluge of messages about my process of going from bright red to platinum blonde hair, and so I thought I’d type up a tutorial to help out those of you interested. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a hair professional, nor will my process necessarily work for you. I have naturally blonde hair, so if your hair is darker, you may need to adjust this process.

Furthermore, going blonde involves bleaching your hair, which is a highly damaging and risky procedure – but it is the only way to go from significantly darker to lighter hair. Please research hair bleaching online before deciding to try this at home. The only reason I am posting this tutorial is because it has been requested so many times; however, I only do so with hesitance because you can seriously mess up your hair! Please keep in mind that bleaching your own hair may end up costing you more money than a professional dye job if you have to fix it several times. For the best results, do NOT rush this process over night, and do plenty of research online first – and ONLY do this if your hair is in a very healthy condition.

Also, please see the standard hair level chart to determine what your current level is, and what level of blonde you are trying to achieve. I went from about a level 5 to a level 10 over the course of a couple of weeks.

Step 1: Remove any dye in your hair first.

Required tools: One ‘n Only Colorfix, Jhirmack’s Silver Shampoo

For this process, I used a bleach-free product called “One ‘n Only Colorfix” from Sally’s. This particular product removes hair dye by shrinking the dye molecules, so it leaves your hair in the same condition. I hadn’t redyed my hair in a few months, so I only had to do two cycles of this to wash out the red almost completely. One box was enough for both cycles, and I have really long and thick hair; however, if your hair has been recently colored, or is a very dark color, you may need to do more than two cycles.

Washing out the dye in your hair will minimize undesirable orange/yellow/or green tones when you bleach it, so I highly recommend taking this step if you have any artificial coloring in your hair. When you rinse it out, it may also help to use a silver (also known as a purple) shampoo, such as Jhrimack’s, which can be purchased at Walgreen’s for $5. This shampoo is violet-tinted, so it will help minimize yellow and orange tones also.

Colorfix Comparison, before & after

Step 2: Bleach your hair.

Required tools: L’Oreal “Quick Blue” powder bleach, 30 volume CREME developer (or 20, depending), duckbill hair clips, and processing caps

This is the most frightening step, and understandably so. Bleaching can not only discolor your hair, but it also damages hair severely. Even a veteran self-hair-dyer like myself was nervous for weeks before I took the plunge and bleached it. Damage done to your hair via bleaching is irreparable, so please do plenty of research prior to attempting this on your own.

I highly recommend taking the utmost care of your hair prior to bleaching in order to avoid serious breakage and dryness. Some helpful tips that were passed along to me are:

1. Shampoo your hair as infrequently as possible. This is not as gross as it sounds – you can still shower, just avoid using shampoo except every 3 or so days, and condition the ends rather than the roots. This will allow your hair to retain its natural oils, which will prevent dryness when you bleach it. TRUST ME on this one.
  2. When you do condition your hair, put it in a shower cap and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before rinsing it. The shower cap will lock in the moisture.
  3. Trim your ends regularly. Split ends cannot be reversed, but trimming your hair will prevent the splits from traveling up the shaft of your hair. I usually just trim my own ends, but some of you may be more comfortable having a pro do it!

Before bleaching your hair, watch MonetMakeup’s hair bleaching tutorial on Youtube. She offers some invaluable advice when bleaching, and her process worked great for me. I won’t list out the process here because she seriously covers EVERYTHING.

You don’t have to buy L’Oreal’s Quick Blue bleach specifically, but any blue bleach will give you a better tone than a white one if you are coming from red or orange-tinted hair. Also, when purchasing your developer, it might be helpful to ask a sales assistant for advice. I used a volume 30 developer, but I only needed to bleach my hair once. Depending on the level of your natural hair, you may need to do a few bleach cycles, in which case you should probably use a level 20 developer to minimize damage. And as painful as it sounds, if you DO need to do more than one bleach cycle to achieve your desired color, wait at least a few days between each cycle to bleach your hair.

Step 3: Tone your hair

Required tools: Wella Color Charm toner, 20 volume developer
Almost always, you will need to tone your hair after bleaching it in order to rid your hair of unwanted orange and yellow tones (an almost unavoidable product of bleaching). Toner uses a base color, such as violet or blue, to neutralize your hair color. Toning your hair will not lighten it, but it will improve your hair’s luster and color.

The base color that you will need will depend on what your hair color is after bleaching it. In order to determine which base color you need, determine what your hair color is after bleaching, and select the opposite color (for those who aren’t art majors, here is a color chart). I used Wella’s “White Lady” (T18), which is a violet toner, and it gave me more of a platinum-white shade of blonde. In my photos my hair looks quite golden, but it is much more neutral and lighter in person.

Mix this toner with a 20 volume developer, and apply to your head. Let it sit under another processing cap in order to maximize its potency for the amount time listed in the directions.

Depending on your resulting color after toning, you may need to buy a blonde dye to tweak your color even more. I used one tube of “Lightest Ash Blonde” by Ion that I purchased from Sally’s, which I used with a level 30 developer. This made my hair slightly lighter and slightly more neutral in tone.

The finished product:

As you can see, the bottom layers are much more orange than the top – that’s because I ran out of toner halfway through and had only toned the top half. I plan on finishing the job later, once I give my lungs a break from inhaling too many chemicals. As you can see, the toner really helps to neutralize the color.

P.S. I want to thank Angelina and Sydney for the invaluable advice they gave me. Please do not bombard them with hair questions (as that is not the purpose of their tumblrs), but DO check out their blogs.

P.P.S. If you are ballsy enough to risk this tutorial, please let me know what your results were. I am curious to see how successful this method is for others!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

66 Comments

1. Sara
    June 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm
    Link

Hello, how are you? I should dye my hair with henna? I always like to follow their advice regarding the care of hair. I want to go from brown to red. I have much fear of making a bleached my hair.

• Curious Little Bird
      September 4, 2013 at 7:02 pm
      Link

You definitely do NOT want to add henna to your hair if you have any intentions of bleaching it, lightening it, or colouring it differently. All hairdressers will tell you that to change colours with hair that has been hennaed, you must grow it all out completely, and cut all the hair off that has the henna. If you want to go red, dye it with a commercial dye.

• Corinne
        March 7, 2014 at 1:24 am
        Link

Actually, that’s only true if the henna you used isn’t BAQ (body art quality) henna. Not sure why all hairdressers have that misconception, but after talking to so many, I think most are just biased. I’ve stained my hair with BAQ henna since my first year in college, so like three years, and I just bleached it out recently. Sure, my hair’s now a strawberry blonde rather than just blonde (which I can fix), but I have no worse damage than I would have had I waited another three years, grown it out, and dyed my natural hair. If you DO use non-BAQ henna and bleach it, however, yes, the results are devastating.

2. Miss Cris
    June 28, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Thanks for posting this!
    As recent as today I took the plunge and bleached my hair (after quite a bit of think, of course) to lighten the brown I have and take it to a lighter medium brown.

Your tip about a toner here is great and one I didn’t know about, so thank you :)

3. Dani
    June 28, 2011 at 6:57 pm
    Link

Thank you so much for posting this! My hair was naturally blond growing up. Then it turned brown on it’s own and I’ve been coloring it red for years. When I colored my hair a couple months ago, I went back to a brown a shade or two lighter than my natural color, but my husband has been saying he’d like to see the blond again. This is perfect timing!

I have a friend that does my hair for me (she works at a salon), and she said she will only do blond highlights because it’s such a drastic and dangerous change. However, if after the highlights I still want to go all blond, I’m totally going to try your tips so thanks for this post!

4. Jamie
    June 29, 2011 at 12:24 am
    Link

Will definitely try this next time I feel like going blonde. Last time I went blonde I listened to some ill-advice and I turned out hating it!

You look absolutely stunning though. :)

5. Justine
    July 1, 2011 at 6:17 pm
    Link

Thank you, first and foremost, for putting that disclaimer up. Too many Internet users get excited about wanting to transform their hair colour after seeing a couple before and after pictures, or a four-minute YouTube tutorial, and impulsively make the decision to do it without a lot of thought. They don’t realize the amount of care and time that goes into a proper dye job.

Anyway, it looks beautiful :)

6. Julia Matheson
    July 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm
    Link

This is a really good tutorial! I agree completely with the point about not shampooing your hair often, and recommend keeping this habit after bleaching too. It’s not dirty, and over-washing sometimes leads to extra grease production anyway, so why not!

7. rebecca
    July 17, 2011 at 2:09 pm
    Link

Why did you dye that beautiful red hair? You look pretty as a blonde too, but I think you looked better the other way

8. josh packed
    August 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm
    Link

this helps me out a lot! thanks

9. rachael
    August 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm
    Link

Hi! I have been wanting to go from my dark red/brown hair to a dirty blonde/light brown for a long time now… But recently got it dyed again in June. Is it too early for me to strip my hair and try to go blonde after only 2 months since my last dye? Thanks so much!

10. Tiffany
    August 23, 2011 at 9:55 pm
    Link

You have beautiful hair! Mine is naturally red and pretty fine. I wish I could go back and forth without it drying out and preventing future growth!

11. Stacey
    September 20, 2011 at 10:48 pm
    Link

So I stumbled upon your website and was captured by the beautiful picture of your red hair. As I delved a little further I found this tutorial. I am a hair stylist with over 4 years of experience, and I have to say you did a nice job on your hair. It’s seriously challenging to go from red to platinum, so im quite impressed. I also wanted to let you know that anytime you use a “toner” aka demi-permanent color you should be using 10 or even 5 volume developer. When you use 20 volume you blast open the cuticle again, and it provides less deposit. You may need to watch the color though, because it will deposit more color and probably develop faster. However, you will definitely notice that the toner will last longer, as your cuticle will close up much more. It’s also a good idea not to wash your hair for about 48 hours after toning so the cuticle has even more time to close up. Hope this helps, I look forward to your next hair tutorial.

12. Stephanie B
    November 4, 2011 at 11:15 pm
    Link

Thank you so much for this! I usually keep my hair a dark red brown, but recently my roots have been growing out very light and I could no longer go six months without coloring my hair. I really liked the one n only colorfix and my hair is now the sameish as your before picture, which is more red than my natural color, but I’m going to let my stylist finish the job. But this definitely saved me quite a bit of money. So again Thank YOu

13. Pingback: Your Questions About Hair Dye Colors For Blonde Hair | blonding hair

14. Betsy
    November 18, 2011 at 10:51 am

This is great!
    I am going to attempt the same thing- however, I used a demi-permanent red/brown in a 6, so do you think the Color Fix will take that out?
    If it does, I don’t think I will even need bleach as I was blonde before this from highlights- plus I am only going from a level 6 to a level 8 for now.

15. alysha
    November 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm
    Link

i really wish i had seen this earlier this year.
    i went to a salon to go from red to blonde and they messed it all up. bleached it wrong died it wrong. tons of my hair fell out and broke off. my hair was to my waist and after it was just under my shoulders . =( this could have saved me so much hassle.

16. rileychapa
    January 21, 2012 at 10:49 am
    Link

Lord you were so much pretter before. Now you look like every other barbie doll. Congratulations. Im so sick
    Of redheads dying their hair

• Steph
      September 5, 2013 at 10:12 am
      Link

If you read the tutorial, she said she’s naturally BLONDE, not red. She’s going “back” to blonde.

17. Molly
    February 23, 2012 at 1:06 am
    Link

We do not “dye” hair, we COLOR it. Get it right or don’t post a tutorial about something obviously not in your field.

• Catherine
      February 23, 2012 at 2:03 am
      Link

Maybe YOU color hair, but as we can both agree, I’m not a hairstylist so I’m perfectly fine with foregoing the euphemisms and dyeing mine. If semantics isn’t your field perhaps you shouldn’t venture into it.

Unless you have something more useful to say, I will dismiss this comment either as a) an angry person on the internet just trying to get their word in or b) a hairstylist who is irrationally scared that (self-proclaimed!) amateur internet tutorials will make their job irrelevant

18. Tina
    March 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm
    Link

If you have red hair and you dye/color it will it grow back red??

• Stevie x
      March 12, 2013 at 6:33 pm
      Link

No like if you dye it any colour over fed it will never grow back red unless the colour you put on is close to red hope this came to use. Xx

19. Marisa
    March 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm
    Link

Thank you so much! I’ve has this page up for over two weeks consistently as I thought about and finally dived into this project. I had some friends help me with the bleaching process but it worked perfectly! I naturally have light brown hair which I’ve been dying red for the past 6 years. I was trying to get to blonde and it came out perfectly :)

20. kay
    April 13, 2012 at 10:43 am
    Link

This looks amazing! Your red hair is the same color as mine is now & I can’t wait to try this method to go back to blond! Your hair is beyond gorgeous & the perfect shade of blond.

21. Pingback: » Blonde??? From Pinot to Parenthood

22. Lisa
    May 27, 2012 at 6:09 am
    Link

NOOO..! your hair was amazing before now it´s just..plain :(

• Stevie x
      March 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm
      Link

Noo offence to the comment about her hair but it is not very nice to hear that you’re putting things like this on the Internet if this is how she likes her hair then she can have it like that and the point is that you have nothing to do with it. Yes you are entitled to your own personal opinion but keep it to your self.

23. Courtney
    June 23, 2012 at 11:29 pm
    Link

Wow – great tips! We’d love for you to share with us beauty lovers at Taaz.com! Just log-in and post your knowledge. :)

24. Darah
    August 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm
    Link

I was so happy when I found this and I’m so excited to be a blonde in a couple days, but I was just curious as to how long you waited between using products? For example, did you use the color fix and then the next day bleach your hair or…?

• jess
      February 3, 2013 at 12:54 pm
      Link

As a professional haircolorist, I would like to clarify to everyone reading this blog that this process is not always so cut and dry. There are many variables that could effect the out come. Such as:
      -brand of hair color you used last (alot of box colors contain metallic dyes which can react with bleach or a color (dye) stripping kit. Resulting in your hair melting or snapping at the new growth). ALWAYS DO A TEST STRAND!!!!
      -Level of your last dye job. If you colored your hair black or dark brown, good luck. A light natural red such as above is NOT that hard to get lighter. A dark intense red will result in orange frazzled hair, and no matter how many times you bleach it, it will never go lighter that an 8(medium blonde) orange.
      -If you have new growth (natural hair at the roots, from the color growing out), if you put bleach on your roots at the the same time as the rest, you will have white roots and orange ends.
      - if your hair is damaged after the stripping and bleaching process, a toner (if not done correctly) can turn your hair blue, purple, green or mucky. PRETTY!

best advice: DO A TEST STRAND!!!!!!!!!
      cut a strand from the middle back of your head (about 2 inches from the scalp and cut at an angle) and test it! serious business. It will tell you what your whole head will look like.

• Hollie
        May 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm
        Link

Love the test strand idea, I have to say that’s really helped me. By the way I came from dark, intense red and am now so bright platinum that I need to to dye it down (used the lightest blonde toner Sally’s had in fact!) I’m happy but will be more pleased with an ash color :) my secret is: coconut oil soaks in between processes, no excuses…and bleaching through grape seed oil. That’s right, THROUGH the oil! Otherwise I think I’d have no hair.

25. HEATHER TIFFANY
    August 24, 2012 at 4:01 pm
    Link

I WANTED TO COMMEND YOUR ABSOLUTE PROFESSIONALISM, YOUR CONCERN,GIVING” US” (MEANING THOSE WHOM READ YOUR BLOG) A SERIOUS CONCERN OF SAFTEY ISSUES, AND IN FACT PROVIDING” US “ADVISE IN DESPRIATE OCCASIONS WE ALL NEED, AND ACCESSIBLE ONLINE!
    I FIRMLY BELIEVE YOU SHOULD CONCIDER OFFERING ADVICE IN BEAUTY FOR A SMALL FEE. YOU SEEM TO HAVE ALOT OF INCREDIABLE KNOWLEDGE, AND I THANK YOU DEARLY FOR SHARING THIS! SINCERLY HEATHER

26. madison
    December 8, 2012 at 4:25 pm
    Link

im going to try this ,when i was blonde before i used the wella white lady t18 and the 20 volume i think.

27. Reb
    December 29, 2012 at 8:11 pm
    Link

this is extremely useful, I am still contemplating but wanted to say thanks for putting this out there. you make a lovely blonde.
    best,
    R

• jess
      February 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm
      Link

best advice: DO A TEST STRAND!!!!!!!!!

• RB
        March 27, 2013 at 3:52 am
        Link

Good advice! As jess says always do a strand test,! Also try not too bleach your hair much as it literally will melt as mentioned above! It’s not nice seeing your melted hair cover the bath , trust me !
        I managed to get my hair to platinum blonde from jet black, but it has taken nearly a year of highlighting and bleaching , many haircuts to remove dead/ chewing gum like ends and being so many dodgey shades of patchy orange!

28. Louise
    January 10, 2013 at 9:46 am
    Link

I have bright red hair can i get the same colour as yours quickly?

• jess
      February 3, 2013 at 12:49 pm

no. you will be orange.

29. Melissa
    January 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    Link

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I did this in December, and it worked amazingly. I’m a natural dark ash blonde, and my hair was subject to several years of red hair color. It was actually slightly darker than yours before beginning the process.

One week before using Colorfix, I crushed up 25 vitamin c tablets in aveda detox shampoo, let that sit for a half hour under a cap, and rinsed. It made my hair just a shade lighter (I’ve done this to correct color mishaps before). A week later, I did the Colorfix, but it didn’t budge the color any more.

A week later, I bleached. Sadly, I didn’t have enough powder bleach (used the blue sally brand) my first time around (just buy the bucket!), so I skimped. With the 20 developer and a few drops of the red color eliminator from Sally’s, I did most of my hair, with roots followed by ends last. I toned with the Wella T18 and 10 developer on towel-dried wet hair, leaving it on for 10 minutes. About 1/4 of my hair (new growth) was very light, but the rest pretty dark, so I needed another round. One week later: same routine, with results that were much more even. Your hair will feel awful when you rinse it – but just keep conditioning throughout the week, try not to wash that much. It’ll get better.

I just did my roots for the first time (this was 5-6 weeks of growth) with the Ion color you listed above + 20 developer. After 30 minutes, I emulsified and spread throughout the rest of my hair, letting it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse, shampoo with my KMS purple shampoo, condition, and it looks great.

It’s not for the faint of heart. But if anyone else is looking to do this, you need be very gentle, be patient, trim your ends, condition, use the purple shampoo, get some argan oil spray to protect your hair, and not let the folks at Sally’s freak you out!

• Catherine
      February 3, 2013 at 1:05 pm
      Link

Melissa – I’m so glad to hear it worked for you! Thanks for sharing your process. I agree, it takes a lot of patience and care!

30. jess
    February 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm
    Link

best advice: DO A TEST STRAND!!!!!!!!!

• Catherine
      February 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm
      Link

Hey Jess! Thanks so much for your input. I agree, doing a test strip is always the safest way to determine how the process will work out!

I really hope no one is reading this and thinking it’s a cut-and-dry process, hence why I was very particular to specify the levels I was going, my dye history, how recently I had dyed my hair, etcetera. This process will not work for everyone and I hope I made that clear! I also hope people are supplementing this tutorial with their own research. This definitely isn’t something people should attempt on a whim or overnight.

31. Kenia
    February 9, 2013 at 5:02 pm
    Link

Hi, did you use step 3 from color fix?

32. Lia
    February 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    Link

I’m curious to try this. I hennaed my hair though so it is a big risk

• Catherine
      February 11, 2013 at 1:12 am
      Link

I don’t think this would work for henna. I used synthetic professional hair dye, but henna is a completely different beast! One of the primary attributes of henna is that it (supposedly) tints your hair red permanently. I think color removers like Colorfix aren’t meant to work for henna, though I could be wrong! I would recommend doing research on how to remove henna dye first before trying this method. Good luck!

33. Samantha
    February 16, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi Cat,
    My name is Sam. First, let me just say you are gorgeous, and I’m so happy I discovered your blog! I recently decided to go red, but it’s just not me (you pull it off way better!) So upon googling “red to blond hair” it directed me here. Let me just say, THANK YOU for posting these detailed instructions and products! I’m currently in the process of stripping the color is it is already looking better. Thanks again!

34. Jordan Page
    February 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Hi,

I am from the UK and cannot seem to find the One ‘n Only Colorfix on a website that ships to the UK… any suggestions??

I am naturally blonde, dyed red, it faded too quickly so got fef up with it so had my hair dyed brown in a salon.

Want to be my natural lovely blonde again and hoping One ‘n Only Colorfix will do the trick??

Thanks :)

• Hollie
      May 8, 2013 at 7:31 pm
      Link

I’m in the uk as well, get to Boots and buy Colour B4, there are two strengths. Same type of thing :)

• Hollie
        May 8, 2013 at 7:32 pm
        Link

(Cheaper in Tescos though)

35. Jaymee
    March 3, 2013 at 3:43 am
    Link

Hi there, I’m planning on a different route to how you dyed your hair, I’ll share a before and after photo with you. I am planning on doing this in just under a week.
    I am going from a intense red and dark brown to a blonde. Which I wish to dye a pail purple colour :)
    I’ll be using a lightning kit, bleach x2, toner, toning shampoo and conditioner, ash blonde dye, platinum dye and purple dye (to get the blonde to a pale purple which I hope will happen)

I have also dyed my hair many times in the past and have made some BIG mistakes! But have always got the end result I wanted. In the past few years I have calmed down when dying my hair and not doing it all in one lot. Which I used to do all too quite often. Dying my hair every week, I’d be black and blue then blonde with leopard print, then red, then black and green, then brown I was for ever changing it! Lol. But I’ve NEVER had purple in my hair now I think it’s time to go for a pale purple :) pretty excited! :) will keep you posted :) xxx

36. Jordan
    March 25, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    Link

Hey! Thank you for your tutorial! I actually am going from black to light golden blonde. I had the same plan in mind that you laid out in the tutorial. It’s definitely reassuring to read this and know that I’m going in the right direction. After the color stripping process, my hair is still REALLY dark…but auburny red. We’ll see what happens when I put in the bleach! (I’ve got enough for a few applications….should it be needed.) Thabks again!

37. Piper
    March 29, 2013 at 10:56 am
    Link

Thank you so much for introducing me to Colorfix! With these instructions, my hair is as close to its natural color as it has been in years, despite many levels hair experiments dyed in.

A tip for those with blonde roots growing in: wait until the bitter end to apply bleach. I applied it after the rest of my head but ended up having to the bleach on for longer than I anticipated; between that and the heat from my scalp, I ended up with an inch of Daenerys Targaryen-level blonde. I’m still happy not to have ended up with goodness-knows-what!

38. Piper
    March 29, 2013 at 10:57 am
    Link

A tip for those with blonde roots growing in: wait until the bitter end to apply bleach. I applied it after the rest of my head but ended up having to leave the bleach on for longer than I anticipated; between that and the heat from my scalp, I ended up with an inch of Daenerys Targaryen-level blonde. I’m still happy not to have ended up with goodness-knows-what!

39. Helen
    April 1, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    Link

I am on the fence about going blond and I have a question about what color your natural hair is, is it that same red color in the picture above? my natural color is probably around a level 8 as a gingery blond and am interested on converting to the color your at. One more question… if you are a natural red head I am interested in how it grows out for example if it is really coppery orange at the roots or does it look more like a dirty blond (and I say this because I looked up pictures of Lindsey lohan when she went blond and for some reason her roots don’t look red at all and more of a dirty blond) I would really appreciate it if you can get back to me even if this was posted a long time ago

40. Hollie
    May 8, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    Link

Hey beautiful, just a note to say I found this FIRST in my two weeks of research for bleaching my own hair (from Loreal’s p76 red shade in the uk- had been for 4 years!!) I was being told it would be impossible to achieve anything near platinum without cutting my long hair off. So after I came full circle and reached your blog again, I took the leap and am so happy I did! I did this same procedure step by step- using the video you put up, although I rushed from fresh red to blonde because I had a christening and concert to attend….ect ect. I will say that I steeped my hair in coconut oils between bleachings every two days, I used 20 vol…this helped preserve my hair. After reaching baby blonde I left it for 6 weeks and bleached it to platinum two days ago. This time I will need to tweak the color to something more of an ashy shade as you did. I must say I so pleased, your blog alone is what gave me the push. So, THANK YOU! :)

41. Mariya Smolkin
    May 17, 2013 at 5:41 pm
    Link

Your sequence worked really well for me, thanks!!! I stubbornly tried doing a high lift dye with 30 vol (several times) to lift and it was fine for my roots, but I couldn’t get the orange brassiness out of my ends, not until I finally bleached it. I also tried a few other toners first and none worked except the Wella. I also like that it’s liquid so you can shampoo it in, that’s much faster than a gel gloss which requires a brush. A word of caution though, the Wella products can really dry out and damage your hair! (I have really fine thin hair.) I also think I left the toner on for too long…the box says up to 30 minutes but I was recently reading reviews where folks say it works in only 5-7 minutes. I used Wella 9/A permanent dye after with only 8.5 vol but that unfortunately fried it even more. It did give me a nice Ash Blond color though! Next time I think I’ll go with TIGI 9/8 for permanent color because it’s much milder/less damaging, or I’ll try the Ion shade you mentioned :)
    So now I have beautiful natural looking blond hair that I’ll need to do a lot of deep conditioning on, and I’m about to get a haircut for the split ends.

Cheers,
    Mariya

42. Kathleen Quinn
    June 15, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    Link

OMG!!! I have been trying to get my light copper blonde hair (natural dark brunette) the exact color of red you used to have for 4 months now! Can you please tell me what color you used to get it? What I do now is bleach my brown roots first and dye it natural copper blonde to match the rest of my hair but what I really want is the red in your before photo!!! Would you mind telling me what brand , name, shade and technique you used to achieve it? I thank you so very much for your help! By the way, you ARE STUNNING in both colors!! Thanks in advance, Kathleen.

43. Sarah
    June 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm

hi this is great thanks

44. Pingback: Nailing Hair Like A Pro | The Quest for an Abudance in Sunshine

45. Brooke
    September 23, 2013 at 12:01 am
    Link

Was tired of my red hair and did the literal exact steps that you have posted here and it came out so beautiful! Thank you for your post! It helped so much! I have never tried toner before, and it made a big difference!

46. Kelli
    October 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm
    Link

This worked great for me. It was super intimidating and the oh man through the process it looked crazy! After the remover my hair was multi colored orange and yellow and white with dark roots, then last night after the bleach I over compensated and applied to my roots too soon rather wait until halfway through the processing time so then my roots were white and the rest was yellow. At least it looked that way when damp. I woke up with more evenly yellow hair. Then the purple toner looked a bit unnerving while it was in and after it still looked like yellow spots as it dried but now that its dry its fine. I’m gonna give it a rest and do some coconut oil hair masks and in a week or so I might do a darker blond so I don’t have crazy roots. But I might as well rock the platinum while I got it lol. Wish I could post my before and after pictures here.

47. D.B
    March 23, 2014 at 8:21 pm
    Link

Hi all. 1st of all..I’m a guy! I’ve bleached my hair once last week and the result was —ORANGE/YELLOW PISS—. I’ve waited a week then did another bleach. Still orange(brass), but a bit less and I can see some ligth blonde almost white. The problem is it looks great at home, but as soon as I hit the sun outside it goes so fraking shoinny orange, it sucks! I’m afraid of doing a 3rd bleach-I don’t wanna break all my hair or do lots of damage. I don’t beleive in “toners” as it is NOT a permanent color and will go away after a while. Should I do another bleach or try to go with a purple shampoo? Is it pointless to use these shampoos if you still got a good amount of brass/yellow in your hair OR is it gonna help? Thanks

48. L
    March 26, 2014 at 6:03 pm
    Link

I love your blog. I’m a stylist, but I still like seeing outcomes of non hair stylists hair experiments. I think you did an amazing job. That YouTube link is worrisome as she seems to be stripping her hair with haphazard partings and smushing it through which can cause a great deal of breakage. I do like that she said not to color the roots or ends. However, your hair’s awe-inspiring. I recently Color Oops-ed my Redken 7cc hair, it didn’t pan out too well. I’m having a really hard time lightening it. I guess color removers work better on certain colors. I am waiting and rebleaching but probably in a few days so my hair can recover. Then I can tone. Definitely not something that should be attempted in one 24 hr period. Or a week even. Thanks for showing your before and afters!

49. Stephanie
    March 30, 2014 at 4:54 pm
    Link

I am currently attempting this process :) hopefully it comes out as great as yours!

50. http://tiny.cc/63v7dx
    April 14, 2014 at 10:00 pm
    Link

Hey there this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if
    blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!